Best Homemade Pancakes Ever!
It all started on a whim – the housewife in me was on a “make-it-from-scratch” spree – and now it’s a full-blown conviction that homemade pancakes are really, truly, the best pancakes ever!
I found the Good Old Fashioned Pancakes on Allrecipes.com, and have made just enough tweaks to really make them our own. Maybe it’s the applesauce. Maybe it’s the butter on the griddle. But whatever it is, these pancakes are heavenly!
5 Reasons These Pancakes are a Favorite at Our House…
- These pancakes are super easy to make – this is one of those recipes to pull out of your pocket when you need to make a meal fast!
- This meal costs next to nothing to make! Ten pancakes cost approximately $1.60 to make if you shop well. That’s $0.16 per pancake!
- Breakfast meals double as a great option for supper in the pinch… Our family loves this weekly tradition!
- I get to make it from scratch! (Yep, the housewife in me is still thrilled about that… 🙂 )
- Having experimented a bit with ingredients and amounts, we’ve officially found a keeper. These pancakes taste amazing!
Want to save this recipe for later?
Here’s the Recipe!
Note: You can find the original recipe here.
Makes about 10 pancakes, Cook time approximately 20 minutes.
- 1 ½ cup flour ($1.29 / 5 lb. bag at Aldi)
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk ($1.99 / half gallon at Aldi) – I use almond milk for our family’s dietary needs. Using regular milk is great too, though it will change the flavor a little.
- 2 eggs ($0.53 / dozen at Aldi!) – The original recipe only calls for one egg, leaving the pancakes smaller and fluffier. I prefer to have my pancakes larger and flatter, but feel free to play around and find what you like!
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce ($2.65 / 48 ounces at the Dollar Store) – This ingredient is what really makes these pancakes shine. The flavor from this applesauce is just perfect!
Total Cost: $1.60 for 10 homemade pancakes!
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. I find that I’m more likely to get little lumps of baking powder when I don’t whisk… So I recommend taking the extra effort, as those don’t taste very nice! 🙂
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto a lightly buttered griddle and heat over medium heat. Did you know that the butter is what give the pancakes the pretty brown coloring on top?! Butter might cost more, but I love the effect!
- Brown the pancakes on both sides and serve hot with syrup, butter, peanut butter, and my favorite Homemade Cinnamon Apple Sauce!
I hope you love this breakfast treat as much as we do! Give it a try for supper this week (or treat your family to a surprise breakfast!), and let me know what you think! 🙂
P.S. This page contains affiliate links – visit my Disclosure Page for more information!
Don’t Lose this recipe – click here to pin it to your breakfast board!
Looking for more budget-friendly meals? Try these!