Hi Everybody! I get to share one of my all-time favorite Christmas treats with you today – Christmas buttons!!
These chocolate treats are ideal for busy moms, because they’re super easy to make! You only need three ingredients to make them, and the hardest part of the process is staying out of the goodies once they’re done. 🙂
This is a great kid-friendly project too, especially if your little people are a little older. Our mom always called us in to help with unwrapping the Hershey’s kisses and squishing the M&M’s onto the melted chocolate. As far as I know, the only trouble she ever had was keeping us from snitching the chocolate…
Have I convinced you yet? You need to make these! The recipe for the easiest (and yummiest!) Christmas treat ever is below!!!
Feeling overwhelmed with the Christmas busyness this year? Me too! The good news is it doesn’t have to be that way – just click here to download a free worksheet with 5 easy questions that really can simplify life!
~ Christmas Buttons Recipe ~
What You’ll Need
- Cookie sheets
- Parchment paper
- Pretzels Rounds – click here to see what they look like, but you’ll probably find better prices in the grocery store. 🙂
- Hershey’s Kisses
- Christmas M&Ms (red and green)
- Temporary freezer space
What To Do
- Preheat the oven to 200oF.
- While the oven preheats, place a piece of parchment paper on your cookie sheet and lay one layer of pretzels on it. Then unwrap the Hershey’s kisses and place one in the center of each pretzel.
NOTE: If you’re doing this project solo, I’d recommend only doing a half-cookie sheet at a time. Otherwise the melted chocolate can firm up before you’ve gotten all your M&Ms on.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 3-4 minutes. The chocolate kisses should appear shiny when they’re soft enough.
- Once the chocolates are ready, remove the cookie sheet from the oven and gently press one M&M in the center of each kiss. Use the M&M to gently spread the chocolate around inside the pretzel round; you don’t want space between your chocolate and your pretzel!
NOTE: If the kisses aren’t squishing well, the chocolate probably needs more time in the oven. Popping the pan back in the oven for another minute should do the trick!
- Place entire pan in the freezer for 2-3 hours; the chocolates should be frozen through when you take them out.
- Move the buttons from the cookie sheet to an air-tight container, and freeze or refrigerate them until you’re ready to serve them!
Other Helpful Thoughts:
- You might notice I used a few pretzel waffles in my pictures. That was a first for me, but they work just as well as the pretzel rounds. In fact, you don’t need parchment paper if you use the waffle variety!
- Try making the buttons with specialty Hershey’s kisses for a fun twist! I tried peppermint kisses this year, and they’re almost as irresistible as the originals, and I’d love to try the caramel kisses sometime too…
- These treats would be adorable with pretzel trees; I haven’t tried that, but it should work the same. Come back and let us know if they work for you!!
- It doesn’t really matter, but I like to keep the “m’s” on my M&Ms facing down. I think they look a little classier that way. 🙂
- I did run into one difficulty in making these this year – my local stores were either bought out of the ingredients when I got to them, or they were charging an arm and a leg if they did still have the supplies in stock. I’m definitely going to stock up in October or November next year, before the Christmas prices hit. 🙂
- Watch out when you test taste these! The crunchy, salty chocolate mix is really addicting. Snacking on two or three buttons can turn into eating five or six or half a batch if you’re not careful!
- Click here to pin this recipe for later!! 🙂
Leave a Comment!
That’s all there is to it! Are there any other variations on these out there? How about other easy Christmas treat ideas? I’d love to hear about them! Take a minute to comment and let me know what you think!! 🙂
Sending Christmas Blessings!
Looking for more Christmas resources? Try these!
Most of the items in these lists is $15 or less and are easily shipped from Amazon!!!