Chicken Pot Pie Made Easy
We had a lot of pot pies growing up, and now that I’m married and cooking in my own kitchen, it’s easy to see why. It really is an easy way to use up leftovers, and it tastes delicious. My husband names this dish as one of his top favorite foods, and I’m not going to argue with that!
There’s really two ways to make this recipe. Mom always made it from scratch, and if I’ve got the right ingredients and the time, I love getting to make the recipe this way. But with a 10-month-old little boy underfoot, I don’t always have that kind of time. So here’s my version of chicken pot pie, made easy. I hope you enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie
What You’ll Need…
2 pie crusts, store bought
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
2 cups frozen vegetables
1 cup cubed chicken
1 Tablespoon minced onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Note: You can use canned veggies too, but I like the taste of frozen better. 🙂
What To Do…
- Thaw your pie crusts! Seems like I always forget this part. The store-bought pie crusts will not unroll well if they are not set out early and thawed beforehand. Microwaving them has never worked for me!
- Preheat your oven to 350oF, and get out your 9 1/2 in pie tin!
- Open your cream of chicken soups and heat over medium or medium high heat. Add your frozen veggies, cubed chicken, salt, and pepper at this time too.
- Let your pie filling heat until bubbling, then reduce heat to low. Let the filling simmer on low until you are ready to put it in the pie.
- Unroll one pie crust and place it in your pie pan. Be careful – it might be store-bought, but that doesn’t mean it’s tear proof!
- Pour your hot filling mixture into the pie pan.
- Unroll your second pie crust and place it on top of your pie. There is usually some extra crust hanging over the edge of the pie pan at this point – I like to tuck this extra crust in between the bottom crust and the pie pan itself. Then flute (make that pretty pinching design) the edge to seal the filling inside.
- Make sure you take a knife and cut little slits in the top of your pie crust. Mom always said that helps the pie breath as it cooks. 🙂
- Bake the pie in the oven for about 50 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the top is golden brown and you can hear the filling bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make sure you come back – I’ll post Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch next time!