This Homemade Tomato Soup really is the best!
There’s just something wonderful about coming in from the cold, dark world to find warm, comfort food simmering in the crock pot… It fills me with warm, fuzzy thoughts every time!
But there’s another perk to soup season – it cuts down the grocery bill! Most homemade soups are really cheap and easy to make. And that’s definitely true of this Homemade Tomato Soup. I spend $1.36 when I make it! But more on that later… 🙂
I found “Garden Fresh Tomato Soup” on Allrecipes.com, and eating canned tomato soup will never be the same. I’ve tweaked the recipe a little – added an extra tablespoon of butter and flour (each) for a little more thickening, a bit more sugar for sweetening, and a dash of Roasted Herb and Garlic seasoning for a little extra zest. But on the whole, this recipe was pure deliciousness right from the start!
Here’s why Homemade Tomato Soup is one of my favorites…
- I get to eat grilled cheese sandwiches with it! And I love grilled cheese sandwiches!
- We got showered with garden-fresh tomatoes this year (Thanks, Mom!), and I’m having a blast using them up. I juiced most of them, and stored them in the freezer, 4 cups per freezer bag. That makes meal prep for this recipe incredibly easy!
- Once the tomato juice is thawed, I can have this meal ready in 30 minutes, with only 5 minutes of prep time, assuming Little Buddy is cooperative… This soup also works great in the crockpot if you need to get supper on the table fast!
- This meal serves six bowls for $4.16 if I buy the tomatoes canned, and only $1.36 if I have frozen tomatoes from Mom on hand!
Want to save this recipe for later?
Here’s the Recipe!
- 8 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (OR 4 cans diced tomatoes, $0.70 ea. @ Dollar General)
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cloves
- 2 cans chicken broth ($0.49 ea. @ Dollar General)
- 6 Tablespoon butter (Stock up when it’s on sale for $1.99/lb!)
- 6 Tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- Roasted Herb and Garlic Seasoning – I know we all have our favorite seasonings… This is one of mine! I love the flavor that Roasted Herb and Garlic adds to tomato soup!! Click here to see what it’ll look like in the store… 🙂
Total Cost: $4.16
(These instructions assume that you’re working with unfrozen, garden fresh tomatoes; if not, you can skip to step 3. 🙂 )
- Rinse your garden fresh tomatoes, remove the stems, and blend the tomatoes in a food processor until lightly chunky or smooth. I find it works well to cut the tomatoes into quarters before I process them.
- If freezing, pour 4 cups of tomato juice into gallon sized freezer bags and lay them flat in the freezer. Make sure you allow your tomatoes time to thaw before making your soup though – how is it I always forget to do that?!?
- To make your soup, combine the tomatoes, broth, minced onion, and cloves in a stock pot, and gently boil for 20 minutes; then reduce heat to Medium or Medium Low.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and mix in flour with a whisk to make a roux. Stir constantly until the mixture appears medium brown. (Don’t worry, that’s just a fancy word for the thickening agent in sauces and soups! 🙂 )
- Gradually whisk small amounts of the tomato mixture into the roux to prevent lumps from forming in the soup; then mix the roux in with the rest of the tomato mixture.
- Season the soup with salt, sugar, and the Roasted Herb and Garlic blend, to taste.
- Let your soup simmer for about 10 minutes. That’s just enough time to make your grilled cheese sandwiches and set the table! 🙂
I hope you love this soup as much as I do! Give it a try this weekend, and let me know what you think of it!
P.S. This post contains affiliate links! Visit my disclosure page for more details!