I like to think of banana bread as a healthy dessert. My husband and I try to avoid having desserts in the house, but we do like to have something sweet in the lunchbox too. Banana bread has been a good compromise for us, and this recipe is one of my favorites. I like to double it so I can have a couple extra loaves in the freezer. The doubled version is below. 🙂
1 1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil (I like to substitute in 1/3 cup applesauce!)
6 Tablespoons sour milk (Sorry for the inconvenient measurement – that’s the same as 1½ quarter cups. You can make sour milk by adding a little vinegar to regular milk.)
2 heaping cups mashed bananas
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350oF. Grease three medium loaf pans.
- Mix together the sugar, oil, and eggs, then stir in the sour milk.
- Add the mashed bananas, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together, then add to the wet ingredients. Stir well.
- Pour the batter the loaf pans and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. The bread is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
(I put a half cup of chocolate chips in this past time, and it was really good!)
Any tips for me? Variations I can try? I’d love to hear about them!